Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Stranger: Journal 5

My personal philosophy interferes with my reading of books to the extent that it shapes my expectations for the book. This is how I form my opinions of books and their authors. When I read about a character, I follow their story hoping that they will prove that they are originally good, or reveal a truth about themselves. If the development of the character does not end up reaching at least some components of my philosophy(example: despite several chances, the person fails to show a change in character) I usually do not end up liking the character. While this does not necessarily mean that I will not like the book, I am more inclined to appreciate books where the character goes through some sort of positive change, in accordance with my philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment