Thursday, May 7, 2009

Antigone Journal 3

Casting of Antigone:
1. Antigone: Natalie Portman
"Don't fear for me. Set your own life in order"(63).
"Not ashamed for a moment,/ not to honor my brother, my own flesh and blood"(84).
Physical Appearance: Slender, average height, dark brown hair, tan skin, bright green eyes
Personality: Brave, passionate, highly morally correct, impulsive
Why: Portman can portray a variety of characters realistically, especially dramatic ones. Also, she has certain issues she is very passionate about, so that could translate to the stage.
2. Ismene: Kate Winslet
"[...]I'll beg the dead to forgive me-/I'm forced, I have no choice-I must obey the ones who stand in power"(62).
"Then don't, at least, blurt this out to anyone./Keep it a secret. I'll join you in that, I promise"(63).
Physical Appearance: Tall, large-boned, long, light blond hair, thin eyebrows, light blue eyes, fair skin
Personality: Sweet, loyal, timid, protective of family, sensible, obedient
Why: Winslet is good at dramatic characters and can get into character really well. Her physical appearance also fits the part.
3. Creon: Jude Law
"You, get out, wherever you please-/you're clear of a very heavy charge"(81).
"No? Believe me, the stiffest, stubborn wills/ fall the hardest[...]There's no room for pride, not in a slave, not with the lord and master standing by"(83).
Physical Appearance: Tall, muscular, sandy brown hair, tan skin, chiseled features, piercing blue eyes, handsome
Personality: Sarcastic, conniving, insecure, petty, cruel-but charming when necessary
Why: Mischievous face, looks like he could portray a villain well, can be very threatening when he needs to
4. Haemon: Dev Patel
"Father, I'm your son...you in your wisdom set my bearings for me-I obey you"(93).
"Far be it from me-I haven't the skill[...]"(95).
"Protect your rights?/When you trample down the honors of the gods?"(98).
Physical Appearance: Scrawny body, average height, not incredibly handsome, scared but kind brown eyes, dark skin, wavy, long dark hair
Personality: Deferential, awestruck, morally correct, humble
Why: Dev Patel is scrawny and innocent-looking, young, good at underdog roles
5. Sentry: Kevin Connolly
"First, myself, I've got to tell you,/I d idn't do it, didn't see who did-/Be fair, don't take it out on me"(70).
"She's the one. With my own eyes, I saw her/bury the body, just what you've forbidden./There. Is that plain and clear?"(79).
Physical Appearance: Short, stocky, brownish-red hair, small, nervous blue eyes, sheepish grin
Personality: Nervous, defensive, rude
Why: Kevin Connolly fits the physical description, and he also does well in the role of an insecure, nervous person
Leader: Clint Eastwood
"To us,/unless old age has robbed us of our wits,/you seem to say what you have with sense"(94).
"Still the same rough winds, the wild passion/raging through the girl"(106).
Physical Appearance: Old, reddish face, thinning white hair, thin, tall, fragile looking man, blue eyes
Personality: Observant, perceptive, dry, authoritative
Why: Clint Eastwood is great as the dry, perceptive old man who gives his approval distinctly to certain things and frowns on others.

5 comments:

  1. You really went into detail in describing you characters. I like the idea of Clint Eastwood playing the leader i also think he would make a great Creon expecially after seeing Grand Tarino. Nice job with the description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Clint Eastwood! Thats really good! But Law for Creon and the girls are spot on. I dont know all of your actors, but you describe them good enough to get a general idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Antigone completely, she's also who i picked. I'm not sure if i can see dev patel as haemon, but the description of what the character should be like was great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you were right on with Antigone and Ismene! Good choices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clint Eastwood would make a great Leader, they both seem to have that presence of leading a group of people.

    ReplyDelete